The organization of the finance department: EXCO US acts as CFO and is supported by an internal team / assistant.
The scope of action of the part-time CFO:
train people in the finance department, define and control their work
produce reports, summary performance indicators and financial analyzes for management
Ensure, if necessary, the financial management of the company during a preliminary mission of 1 or 2 months.
The organization of the finance department
The approach proposed by EXCO US is to work in pairs as Chief Financial Officer
EXCO US – Internal company assistant.
This choice of organization has the following advantages for the company:
Autonomy in the daily management of the finance department
Transfer of skills to the financial management assistant
Optimization of the intervention of the financial director
EXCO US – intervention only on high added value tasks
Management of the finance department
The management of the finance department is carried out in tandem with the management (or the management assistant) or the operational manager and EXCO US who acts as functional manager. This dual management – and its inclusion in the organization chart – is important to ensure the legitimacy of the finance department with the finance department. During the first interventions, sufficient time must be given to the team to train them and to get them used to the new organization. As the presence in the offices of the external CFO is rare, it is essential to create a bond of trust between the team and the external CFO from the start.
The role of the CFO EXCO US as functional head
- Definition of the scope / procedures of each member of the finance department
- Training in concepts / tables used for the financial management of the company
- Control of tasks performed / correction
- Quarterly maintenance
- If the finance department is made up of more than one person, the EXCO US CFO will rely on an internal company assistant. For all technical questions, employees can ask questions directly to the EXCO US CFO (mail, phone)
PRODUCE REPORTINGS AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS, CARRY OUT FINANCIAL ANALYZES
The second role of the EXCO US financial director is to produce reports for the management giving an overview on the health of the company and performance indicators allowing the assessment of possible areas of development.
The summary tables are produced by the CFO EXCO US for the following reasons:
- Verification, consolidation and corrections of tables managed by the finance department
- Management of confidential information: integration of salary costs, margin calculations, …
- Computer and financial skills: the production of summary tables requires both computer skills and a clear vision of the objectives of the summary
- The objective of performance indicators – illustrated with graphs – is to provide the manager with the only relevant information before making a decision: overall health of the company , cash flow statement, margin by projects, variable and fixed costs of the company by expense,…
These documents, associated with the financial analysis of EXCO US – your privileged interlocutor – are the external view on the health and development of your business.
Developing appropriate financial management
Setting up an external finance department often involves overhauling the company’s financial management and developing a solution that meets its needs. This work of setting up the bases is carried out at the beginning of the collaboration via a one or two month mission – phase of discovery and knowledge of the functioning of the company and its actors, development of personalized tools and integration. from the CFO EXCO US. The preferred software is Excel because it adapts to the needs of a large number of SMEs. The implementation of an integrated management software package can also be studied.